Ranjan, 262 pages. Continued below.
Contents: Preface by K.N. Rao; Introduction;
Kanda 1, 1. Determination of the Time of Birth: Slokas: 1. Obeisance to Ganapati; 2. Obeisance to Para Shakti; 3. Previous part of the text & the purpose of the present chart; 4. Time of birth, planets & bhavas; 5-6. Rectification of time of birth; 7. Position of Mandi; 8. Position of Gulika; 9. Delivery room; 10. Birth when the father is away, nature of delivery; 11. Details about the delivery room;
2. Determination of the Strength: Slokas: 1. Right & left side, functions of the sun & the moon; 2-3. Relations among the planets; 3-4. Sapta vargas; 4-5. Exaltations, signs & strength of planets; 6. Exaltation, debilitation & retrogression; 7-8. Hora, Drekkana, Saptamsa; 8-9. Navamsa, Dwadasamsa, Trimsamsa; 9-10. Strength of the Saptavargas; 10-11. Strength of Uchcha & Kendra;
11-12. Strength of odd & even signs & Drekkana; 12-13. Directional strength; 13-15. Pakshabala, Diva-ratri bala & Natonnata bala; 16-17. Strength of lords of the year, month & day of birth; 17-18. Ayana & Chesta strength, planetary war; 18-19. Aspects; 19-20. Strength of aspects; 20-21. Natural strength, Shadbala; 21-23. Rectified Shadbala, Strength & weakness of planets, Nature of their major periods;
3. Determination of Longevity: Slokas: 1. Amsa Ayurdaya; 2. Various kinds of reductions; 3. Longevity given by lagna in Amsa Ayurdaya; 4. Knowledge of the good & bad deeds in the past, present & future lives; 5. How to compute longevity in these three births; 6. Long, medium, short life, Effects of malefics in 1, 4, 7, 10, 5, 9, 8 & 12; 7. Short life & no children; 8. Very short life;
4. Effects of the Planets & Houses: Slokas: 1. A great person of fame; 2. Yogas destroying the above; 3. Special raja yogas; 4. Raja yogas from the lords of 9 & 10; 5. Yogas continued; 6. When is a bhava destroyed?; 7. Lord of the lagna in the three Drekkanas; 8. Yogas caused by Chandra, Kuja & Shani; 9. Guru, Shukra & Rahu; 10. When is a bhava worthless?;
11. Lord of the bhava promoting it; 12. When is a bhava destroyed; 13. Benefic nature of a planet to be determined; 14. Association of a planet with benefics & malefics; 15. Bala, Vriddha, Astangata, Vijita states, special features; 16. Where do benefics & malefics prove auspicious; 17. Gradations; 18. Effects of bhavas; 19. Chhadaka planets; 20. Chhadaka, Vedhaka, Bandhaka & Pratibandhaka, Marakas for the bhavas;
21. Different Vedhas & longevity; 22. Viparita rajayogas; 23. Special yogas for supreme power; 24. Chatushtaya, Kendra, Kantaka, Panaphara, Apoklima, Kona, Upachaya, Lagna & Janma; 25. Sun & moon, Three Gunas; 26. Adhi yoga; 27. Owning wealth; 28. Dhana yoga; 29. Planets in Kendras & Panapharas; 30. Special Dhana yogas; 31. Movable, fixed & dual signs & their strength, Chhadaka & Vedhaka; 32. When does the yoga fructify?; 33. Moon in the above yogas; 34. Arudhas & Padas; 35. Results of eight Padas; 36. Children - their sex & number; 37. Childlessness & adoption; 38. Number of wives; 39. Wife; 40. First & subsequent wives; 41. Brothers & sisters; 42. Adhikagraha; 43. Planets with Adhikagraha; 44-45. Effects of planets from this adhikagraha;
5. Significators & Significations of Planets & Houses: Slokas: 1-23: Karakatvas of bhavas 1 - 12; 23-26. Karakatvas of Ravi; 26-29. Karakatvas of Chandra; 30-34. Karakatvas of Kuja; 34-37. Karakatvas of Budha; 38-41. Karakatvas of Guru; 42-46. Karakatvas of Shukra; 46-50. Karakatvas of Shani; 51-53. Karakatvas of Rahu; 53-55. Karakatvas of Ketu;
6. Results of the Major Periods of Planets: Slokas: 1. Nine avasthas of the planets; 2. Need for using major & sub-periods; 3. Vimshottari dasa & its sequence; 4. How to calculate the balance of dasa at birth; 5-8. Calculation of sub-periods, effects of the dasas of sun & moon; 8-9. Major period of Kuja; 9-10. Major period of Budha; 10-11. Major period of Guru;
11-12. Major period of Shukra; 12-13. Major period of Shani; 13-14. Major period of Rahu; 14-15. Major period of Ketu; 15-16. Rahu & Ketu as marakas & as benefics; 16-17. Rahu & Ketu in the four dual signs; 17-18. Rahu & Ketu in other signs; 18-19. Rahu & Ketu in 6, 8, 12 & other matters; 19-20. Rahu & Ketu with yoga karakas; 20-21. Exaltation, debilitation, mulatrikona & own signs of Rahu & Ketu, their friends & others;
21-22. Rahu & Ketu in relation to the lord of signs they occupy; 22-23. The results of a subperiod in a major period; 23-24. Which major & minor periods are benefic, average & bad; 24-25. Malefic & benefic nature of the lord of the subperiod defined; 25-26. Effects of the sub-periods in relation to the major period, Same dasa giving rajayoga & also death; 26-27. When does a rajayoga planet postpone death?; 27-29. Guru & Shukra in their mutual periods; 29-31. Mutual periods of Shukra & Shani;
31-32. Mutual periods of Ravi & Shani; 32-33. Mutual periods of Kuja & Guru; 33-34. Mutual periods of Budha & Guru, Budha & Shukra, Guru & the moon, Shukra & the moon, Guru & the sun, Sun & Kuja, Ravi & Budha; 34-38. Annual solar return - Varsha Phala; 38-43. Results of the periods during the year of the solar return;
7. Horary Astrology: Slokas: 1. Lost horoscopes or unavailable dates & times of birth; 2-3. Method to find out the exact lagna; 4. Position of Jupiter at the time of birth; 5. Nasta Jataka & its assessment; 6. Dhatu, Mula & Jiva; 7. Lagna at the time of query; 8. Subject of the query; 9. Results to be predicted; 10. When will the answer be fulfilled?; 11-12. Division of the zodiac & how to answer the queries; 13. Sthula & Sukshma moon at the time of the question; 14-15. Subject of the question; 16. Terms chara, sthira, dvisvabhava, gargha, dvara & bahya defined, in which hand is the thing?; 17. Is the thing long or short? What is its color?; 18. Time of fructification; 19. Effects of the time of question;
8. Miscellaneous Problems in Prediction: Slokas: 1. Garbhadhana; 2. Nisheka & garbhadhana; 3-4. How to see that a girl of advanced age having no menses, fit; 5. Aslesha & Magha, Shantis to be performed; 6. Jyeshtha & Mula, Revati & Ashvini; 7. Puberty at gandantara; 8. Tyajyakala, effects of eclipses; 9. Amrita ghatikas for medicine; 10-11. Adoption; 12. Preliminaries for marriage; 13. Marriage invitations; 14. Kurma Chakra for inaugurating a new house; 15. Auspicious time for constructing a new house; 16. Vrishabha & Kalasa Chakras for entering a new house; 17-19. Dasa-dasi chakra for engaging a new servant or servant maid; 19-20. Cattle to be given or purchased;
20-21. Asva Chakra for mounting a horse; 21-22. Gaja chakra for mounting an elephant; 22-23. Shibika Rohana getting into a palanquin; 23-24. Chhatra Chakra - Royal umbrella; 25. Khatwa chakra for mounting a cot; 26. Chapa Dhanush Chakra; 27. Ratha chakra; 28. Ghurna chakra; 29. Sugar cane; 30. Ploughing; 31. New boat; 32. New lamp; 33. New well or tank; 34. New pillar; 35. Door; 36. New oven; 37. New box; 38-39. Where to settle in a town or country; 40. Upanayana; 41-44. Hidden treasure; 46. What kind of a treasure is it?; 47. The kind of vessel; 48. Is there any treasure?; 49-50. Vivaha chakra.
Second Kanda, Chapter 1: Slokas: 1. Marriage; 2-7. Sapindya; 8. Same continued; 9. Brotherless girls' marriage; 10. Five bad customs south of the Narmada; 11. Bad customs in the East; 12. Marriage with the daughter of a maternal uncle; 13. Children of different wives of the same father; 14. Marriage prohibitions; 15. Eating before & after marriage; 16. Pancha Sutri; 17. Six Pindas in a Shraddha; 18. Who is elder among the twins?; 19. Twelve kinds of children;
20-21. Adopted son; 22. Study of the Veda; 23-24. Gotra & Pinda-pradana for the adopted son; 25. Shraddha; 26. Pani Homa; 27. Shraddha & bhikshus; 28. Rites of other castes done by a Brahmana; 29. Bath in the sea; 30. Restrictions regarding food for widows & ascetics; 31-32. Who can offer Pindas?; 33-36. Upanayana; 37. Marriage & menstruation; 38-41. Ten avataras of Vishnu; 42. Janmashtami & Ganesha Chaturthi; 43. Rishi Panchami, Ananta Chaturdasi, Maraka Chaturdasi; 44-47. Skanda puja, Ratha Saptami, Shiva Ratri, Ekadashi & Dvadashi; 48. Eclipses & Shraddha; 49. Ashaucha;
50. Intercalary month & Shraddha; 51. Solar ingress - auspicious time; 52-54. Tarpana & Vaisvadeva; 55-56. Nadi Shraddha when father is alive; 57. When the wife has conceived; 58. Tarpana & Shraddha; 59-61. Shraddha; 62-65. Menstrual periods; 66. Time to be dropped; 67-69. Urination & excretion; 70. Bath; 71. When are the rivers in menstruation?; 72. Fingers; 73. Pradosha; 74-76. Tarpanas in Shraddha;
Chapter 2: Slokas: 1. Zodiac; Planetary aspects; 3. Benefics in kendras & konas, Lord of 8 & 12; 4. Guru & Shukra as Marakas, luminaries owning the 8th house; 5-7. Rahu & Ketu, their benefic & malefic results & their major & minor periods, houses 9, 10, 8; 8. Maraka places, who is a malefic; 9. Shani as Maraka, other marakas & their periods; 10. Nature of the subperiods in the period of a planet owning a kona, Kendra lords, yoga karakas & death;
11. Major period of a yoga karaka & the subperiods in his own period; 12. Subperiod of planets with the nodes; 13. Mutual periods of Shani & Kuja, lords of lagna & Chandra lagna, raja lords; 14. Benefics, malefics & marakas for persons born in Mesha lagna & Vrishabha lagna; 15. Vrishabha, Mithuna & Karka lagnas; 16. Karka, Simha & Kanya lagnas; 17. Kanya & Tula lagnas; 18. Vrischika & Dhanur lagnas; 19. Dhanush & Makara lagnas; 20. Kumbha & Mina lagnas;
21. Good & bad effects given by planets; 22. Difficulties in interpretation; 23. Malefics, marakas; 24. Guru, Shukra & Sani; 25. Chandra & Shukra, lords of 3, 6, 7, 8 & 11; 26. Chandra, Shukra, Rahu & meteors; 27. Longevity; 28. Day, Tithi & nakshatra for illegitimate children; 29. Vani Pata Yoga.
Comment: The foregoing is virtually a page-by-page description of the book. Includes the original slokas. In the introduction, we learn that the author of this book was not the Kalidasa of legend. The real author might have been one Abhinava Kalidasa, but in any case was South Indian, belonging to the 17th or early 18th centuries, a devotee of the Great Mother goddess, Para Shakti, Maha Tripura Sundari.
Notable in this book: A method of finding past, present & future births, different from the one given by Varahamihira. An original & simple method for solar return charts, different from the Tajika method. An elaborate account of Rahu & Ketu. An interpretation of retrograde planets in their exaltation & debilitation. Mutual periods of Shani & Shukra. Muhurta & nimitta. Guru & Shani as co-workers. Jaimini's system simplified. Horary astrology & lost or unknown dates of birth.
Back to the
P.S. Sastri Page.